THE CENTER

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Re your article (March 14) on "The Unseen Foreigner:"

As a foreign graduate student who has been here for three years, I feel it is a moral obligation on me to say a fair word in respect to the role of the International Students Association, 33 Garden Street, popularly known as The Center, in helping foreign students to feel at home and enjoy their living in this great country.

You rightly emphasized the lack of "real friendship" in the life of foreign students here. But it is by no means a problem of foreign students as such. Don't you agree that it is one of the characteristic problems of the age? Certainly, the foreignness factor accentuates this problem. I think, however, and many people who are acquainted with the Center agree with me, that the Center, through its various nationality activities, the Community Hospitality Program and several other weekly cultural, social and athletics activities, has been very successful in creating an atmosphere for the foreign students where in the factor of foreignness yields its best properties.

The Center could not, nor could any other institution in the world, devise an effective dose that provides man with the gift for human relationship. All that the Center can do in this respect, and what it has been, within its limited resources, successfully doing is to provide positive opportunities for students, foreigners as well as Americans, to use their personal gifts in making friendships and enriching their human relationships.

I suggest that the CRIMSON can help very much the Center in carrying on its noble mission by announcing in the notice column the daily activities of the Center. I am sure that many of your student readers will find their participation in the activities of the Center a valuable contribution to both their daily life and the Center's success. AMIR ANBARI