National Corps Measure Introduced in Congress

President Kennedy sent his National Service Corps bill to Congress Thursday and the proposal was immediately attacked by both conservatives and liberals.

Conservative Congressmen questioned the need for the "Domestic Peace Corps" and opposed the $5 million expenditure the President has requested for the new program.

"I think with the budget going up and taxes going down, we have to tighten our belts a little and this would be a good place to start tightening," said Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.).

Liberal critics have attacked the provision that would allow Corpsmen to undertake projects in an area only at the request of local officials. The critics claim this might undercut the effectiveness of the program in the South, where local officials would be unlikely to ask for projects in Negro areas.

The bill, sponsored in the Senate by Sen. Harrison Williams (D-N.J.), and in the House by Rep. Frank Thompson (D-N.J.), would limit the Corps to 1000 members during its first year of operation. Ultimately, the Corps might be expanded to 5000 or more.

Michael Shinagel, Harvard's Peace Corps adviser, has said that interest in the program is high in the Harvard community. He added that the National Service Corps' one-year term of enlistment might interest a number of students who do not want to spand two years in the overseas Peace Corps.

The National Corps workers will undertake projects in city slums, in migratory labor camps, and on Indian reservations. Special attention will be given to work with juvenile delinquents.

Senate Approval Expected

A spokesman for Sen. Williams said he thought the bill was "almost absolutely certain" to pass the Senate, but said he was less sure of the outlook in the House. "The vote on the Youth Conservation Corps bill earlier this week made us pretty confident about our chances; in the House ... well, we'll just have to pray."