Trackmen Slaughter Dartmouth 117-32; Ohiri Sets New Hop-Step-Jump Record

Awori Wins Three; Hatch, Meehan Star

By Richard Cotton

In a valiant effort to add some interest to Saturday's track meet, Chris Ohiri shattered the oldest existing University record with a spectacular 48 ft. 7 1/2 in. effort in the hop, step and jump. Ohiri's performance bettered the old mark of 48 ft. 6 in. set by Edward Bloss in 1893. Meanwhile, the Crimson slaughtered Dartmouth 117-32, collecting 13 first places and 14 seconds.

The 85 point margin was Harvard's most decisive victory in history over the Big Green, and was the Crimson's twelfth consecutive win in dual or triangular meet competition.

Dartmouth, with its two track stars out of the picture, provided the Crimson with no competition. (Gerry Ashworth is competing in the Pan-Am games and Tom Holzel was in a car accident and did not dress for the meet.)

The Crimson managed some respectable performances. John Bakkensen twirled the discus 164 ft. 9 1/2 in. to lead a Harvard sweep of that event, and Art Doten took the hammer throw with a toss of 192 ft. 10 1/2 in.

Aggrey Awori settled for three first places this week, taking top honors in the 100 yd. dash (:10.1), 220 yd. run (:21.5), and high hurdles (:14.3).

The Crimson had three double winners against the faltering Dartmouth squad. Hank Hatch won the 440 low hurdles in :56.6, and the javelin throw with a heave of 199 ft. He also copped a second behind Awori in the high hurdles.

Ed Meehan took the mile in the relaxed time of 4:37.8, and Art Linnell checked in just behind him for second. Meehan copped his other first in the two mile with a clocking of 9:42.8.

Ohiri, after his beautiful record-breaking hop, step, and jump performance, leaped 23 ft. 1/2 in. to lead a Harvard sweep of the broad jump, and become the third double winner of the day for the Crimson. Chukwuma Azikiwe and Charles Ward finished behind Ohiri.

The one event which Dartmouth managed to win on its own merits was the 440 yd. run which the Green's Don Scott took in a winning time of :50.5. The rest of Dartmouth's first places were allowed solely by the beneficence of Crimson coach Bill McCurdy who placed his second line performers in the other three events.