Varsity Out-Scores Crusader Stickmen In Spite of Injuries

Harvard beat Holy Cross 9-7 and extended its winning streak to three yesterday, but conditions couldn't be worse for the varsity lacrosse team. Star attackman Tink Gunnoe is sidelined indefinitely with an injured back. All-Ivy goalie Gil Leaf is still on crutches, and at least two other Crimson stickmen are playing in spite of hampering injuries.

With its wounded watching from the bench, the Crimson had more than a little difficulty taking healthy Holy Cross. Jumping off to a 6-2 half-time lead, the varsity needed all the defensive brilliance it could muster to hold off late Crusader rallies.

Midfielder Pete Wood did most of the Crimson's scoring. The big junior collected four goals, including two crucial markers in the last quarter.

While Wood and other Crimson mid-fielders worked away on the Crusader defense, Harvard's own secondary held the Holy Cross offense to just two goals in the first half. Sophomore net-minder Ormond Hammond made 15 saves in a busy afternoon.

Scoring in every period except the third, Crimson midfielders Prahl, Barton, and Wood amply compensated for the loss of Gunnoe on the attack. Dick Ames and Lou Williams contributed three markers to round out the varsity's nine-goal total.

Harvard avoided the penalty box except for nine short visits and took full advantage of Crusader violations. Three Crimson goals came on extra-man plays.