AFRO-AMERICAN SOCIETY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The formation of an organization of African and Afro-American students at Harvard, reported in the Saturday, April 27, edition of your newspaper, is a capital idea. It is surely not racial discrimination' in any accurate meaning of the term if the proposed group excludes students of other racial origins from membership. If Harvard has a chapter of the Menorah Society and non-Catholics.

Unity in diversity was once (perhaps it still is) a legitimate Harvard goal, at any rate so long as the late Roger Bigelow Merriman '02 paced before the lectern in History 1. We may therefore invoke his memory in reminding ourselves that unity does not necessarily mean identity. After all, as the late George Santayana '36 the philosopher declared wisely: "The Negro, if he is not a fool, loves his own inspiration, and expands in the society of his own people.

My great regret is that there was not a similar organization in my period in the Harvard community. May God grant this new creature length of days! William Harrison '32   Associate Editor, BOSTON CHRONICLE