Trackmen Sweep to Lead in G.B.I., Capture Four Field Event Finals

By David M. Gordon

Harvard's powerful field squad swept to an overwhelming first-day lead in the Greater Boston Intercollegiate track championships at Brandeis yesterday, capturing four of the seven events completed. The Crimson was again paced by Chris Ohiri, who surpassed his two-week old University record in the hop, step, and jump, and sprint star Aggrey Awori.

Pilling up 45 point and qualifying men in all three running trials, the Crimson is so assured of victory after today's finals that coach Bill McCurdy will enter only a fraction of his squad in the events remaining. McCurdy hopes to enter the Heptagonals at Princeton this Saturday with as healthy a squad as possible.

Certain to be withheld from today's schedule are captain Ed Hamlin and miler Pill Crain in the distances, and hurdler Hank Hatch. Awori, who won the broad jump today, will compete in only one or two races instead of his usual three.

Ohiri's triple leap of 49 ft. 1/2 in. will place him among the leaders in the country in an event in which Harvard has developed remarkable strength. Chum Azikiwe placed second in today's final with a jump of 47 ft. 4 in., and Hoble Armstrong placed fourth.

More Victories

Harvard continued its onslaught with victories in the pole vault and the javelin, as Jay Mahaney took a surprise victory in the former with a vault of 13 ft. Recent record setter peter Lampe easily won the javelin with a throw of 209 ft. I in.; Tom Holcombe was second for the Crimson with a mark of 194 ft. 8 in.

In the running trials, Awori won his heat of the 330 yd. hurdles in a time of 38.4 seconds, and both John Ogden and Eddie Meehan easily won their heats of the half mile in times of 1L55.0. and 1:55.3 respectively. Keith Chiappa and John Briggs qualified for today's final in the 440 yd. run.