Relevant Information

The nation will, of course, profit from the "full and extensive" debate promised by various senators on the recently negotiated limited nuclear test ban treaty. Men like Henry Jackson will perform a valuable service if they closely question Administration officials to make sure United States security will not be endangered. And perhaps the Administration will see fit to release additional information on our detection capabilities so the layman can better evaluate our nuclear strategy.

In addition to a careful study of the relative atomic arsenals of the signatories and the possible diplomatic effects of the treaty, the Senate would be wise to consider another set of statistics, released Saturday by the Public Health Service. According to the Service's measurements, the amount of strontium 90 in the average litre of milk in this country was twice as great last May as in May 1962. Federal Radiation Council scientists estimate that the level of radiation was even higher for June and July. This sharp increase in radioactivity in the atmosphere is a direct result of the nuclear tests by Russia and the United States in 1962.

While the present level of radioactivity is still below the "permissible" limits established by the Radiation Council, the Council estimates that the radioactive debris from the 1962 series may produce as many as 1,450 cases of bone cancer and leukemia. Further, 110-139 babies with gross physical or mental defects will be born in the next generation; 3000-5000 such babies will appear in future generations.

Last week the leaders and people of the world mourned the death of one infant who was fatally ill at birth. The Senate should not forget this universal concern for a single life when it considers an agreement that could prevent thousands of future human tragedies.