FROM PROF. FAINSOD

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In your issue of January 22, 1964, under the head of The Crime, you reproduce three sentences from the 1962 edition of my How Russia is Ruled which describe the Soviet factory director's job in language very close to that used by David Granick in his The Red Executive published in 1961. Whether so intended or not, the clear implication is that I have borrowed Mr. Granick's formulation without acknowledgement.

Your readers are entitled to know: first, that my summary represented a condensed statement of a much more detailed description of the factory director's role which was set forth in the first edition of my How Russia is Ruled, published in 1953; second, that the footnotes of both the original and 1963 edition of my book contain references to the excellent publications of David Granick on Soviet industrial management; third, that Mr. Granick, in his 1954 book on Management of the Industrial Firm in the USSR, of which The Red Executive is essentially a popularization, was kind enough to include me in his list of acknowledgements. I should emphasize that the particular sentences which you quoted represent standard formulations of the problem which are widespread in the literature on Soviet industrial management.

May I express my regret that "journalistic enterprise" in this instance did not extend to searching out the facts which might have avoided what I would like to believe was a thoughtless slur on my scholarly credentials. Marie Fainsod,   Professor of Government.

The CRIMSON now feels it was an error to print the excerpts, and apologizes to Professor Fainsod for what could have been Interpreted as a slur.--Ed.