Council Will Renew Study Of Parietals

Blasts Doty Report As 'Inconsequential'

The Harvard Council for Under-graduate Affairs decided last night to "reopen discussion of the parietals issue."

At a long session in Holyoke Center the Council also voted to renew this year its drive for free interhouse dining between Harvard and Radcliffe, to study further the assignment of freshmen to the Houses, and to condemn the Doty Committee for an "inconsequential" report on the General Education Program.

Next week the HCUA Executive committee will issue a new report on parietal hours, which will provoke extensive discussion of the issue that became so explosive last year, according to chairman H. Reed Ellis '65.

Will Petition Taylor

Ellis will also petition the Masters' Committee, through Secretary Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, to extend parietals for one night of the Dartmouth weekend. A similar request was granted on the weekend of the UMass football game, but a Dartmouth extension was refused last year.

HCUA's proposal for free interhouse with Radcliffe on regularly established date nights in the dining halls was turned down by the Masters last year because of a fear of substantially longer lines in the dining halls.

Poll Thursday

Council members will conduct a poll this Thursday evening to determine whether students would object to the somewhat longer lines that might develop if Cliffies could dine free on date nights. It is the Council's contention that the Masters' fear was unfounded.

HCUA's criticism of the Doty Report urged the establishment of a special Faculty Committee "to consider the role of Harvard College in the coming years and the place of General Education in fulfilling this role."

The place of "specialization in the College should have been re-examined" by the Doty Committee, it charged. The report goes on to "question the validity of departmental domination of Harvard College," which was not discussed by the Doty panel.

The HCUA's report was prepared by its Committee on Educational Policy which studied the Doty Report over the summer. Its report was written early this fall.