Ex-President Hoover Dies In New York

Herbert C. Hoover, President of the United States from 1929 to 1933, died yesterday morning at the age of 90. He had been in a coma in his Manhattan apartment since Saturday, when he suffered an internal hemorrhage.

A native of Iowa, Hoover was defeated in 1932 by Franklin D. Roosevelt in a bid for a second term. The electorate blamed him for the depression that hit the country seven months after his inauguration.

As chairman of the Commission on the Organization of the Executive Branch, Hoover regained stature in the last 22 years of his life. His work as relief organizer for Europe during World War I was also praised.

Orphaned when he was 10, Hoover accumulated a fortune as an engineer by the time he was 28. He was Secretary of Commerce under Presidents Warren G. Harding and Calvin Coolidge. Running for the presidency in 1928, he defeated Alfred E. Smith.

A 30-day period of national mourning has been proclaimed by President Johnson. "His steadfast leadership served us undaunted through good times and bad--as businessman, provider for the poor and hungry, president, and elder statesman," Johnson said.

Don K. Price Jr., Dean of the Faculty of Public Administration, who served as assistant to the first Hoover Commission, said last night "opinions will always differ on his policies as President, but all at this time will unite in remembering and applauding his great contributions" in war relief and government reorganization.

Burial will be Sunday in Hoover's home town of West Branch, after the body lies in state for two days in the Capitol rotunda.