Soccer Squad Encounters Dartmouth This Afternoon

By Richard Andrews

The undefeated Harvard soccer team plays at Dartmouth this afternoon in what will certainly be the team's severest test on the Ivy League season to date.

Last Saturday the Indians upended preseason. Ivy favorite Brown, 2-1 throwing the League race into chaos. In the three previous games of the year, all cliffhangers. Dartmouth best Middlebury, 3-2, lost to Princeton 2-1, and edged Amherst, 2-1.

For Harvard the contest is a crucial one, since the Crimson's record is already blemished by a scoreless tie with Columbia, and a loss today would seriously harm the Crimson's chances for a fourth straight League championship.

Against the Bruins, Dartmouth was trailing 1-0 after three quarters, but ties the score when a harried Brown fullback kicked the ball past his own goalie on an attempted pass.

At 14:17 Dartmouth's two outstanding offensive players combined for the winning goal. Ethiopian outside right Tequabo Iasu fired a pass to inside left Ron Knapp, who banged it home.

In addition to Knapp and Iasu, Dartmouth has excellent players in goalie Larry Geiger, who has permitted just six allies in four games; sophomore center halfback Chip Harvey; and right halfback Bill Smoyer, brother of a Dartmouth All Ivy goalie in 1962.

Harvard's chances to win this afternoon will hinge largely on the squad's ability to get the ball into the net--an analysis which is not quite so idiotic as it sounds. Against Cornell last weekend Harvard controlled the ball consistently and performed well on defense, but it was not until 14 minutes of the final quarter had elapsed that the Crimson was able to kick a shot past the Red's outstanding goalie.