Semitic Museum Head Finds Ancient Temple
An expedition led by G. Ernest Wright, Packman Professor of Divinity and Curator of the Semitic Museum, has uncovered the ruins of an ancient Samaritan temple near Schechem, Jordan.
The temple, which was found beneath a recently discovered Roman temple, is thought to have been built during the Fourth Century B.C. It was probably the most important Samaritan shrine until it was destroyed in 123 B.C.
Wright had been working at the site since excavations began there in 1956. The expedition he heads is sponsored jointly by Harvard, Drew University in Madison, N.J., and the McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago.