Princeton, Lions Quakers, Brown Begin Ivy Play

While Bucknell invades the Stadium today, the first two Ivy League games of the season will be taking place in Providence and Princeton. Both are important: Penn will be at Brown and Columbia at Princeton.

Princeton, one of the top favorites for the Ivy League title, will have to prove it is as good as its press notices. The Tigers did not look extraordinary last week in beating Rutgers, 10-7 and meanwhile, Yale, considered the Tigers' top Ivy rival, looked very impressive in battering Connecticut.

Columbia, on the other hand, has just about the same assets it has had for the last two years: Archie Roberts and questionable support. Roberts has yet to prove that he can inspire his teammates to play winning football every week; perhaps he can this year, but this week he has a handicap. Three of the Lions' first-stringers are injured at the moment.

In Providence, Brown meets Penn. Brown is supposed to have come up with its best team in years, with quarterback Jim Dunda passing, fullback John Kelley running, and halfback Rob Hall doing both.

Penn is thinner, and the Quakers are shifting from a single-wing to a Toffense. They may win some games, but probably not until they get used to the new system.

In non-league games, Yale meets Lehigh, Cornell is at Colgate, and B.U. at Dartmouth.