Resurrection

Ultra-conservatism and reaction having been overwhelmingly rejected by the American people, the Republican party has a unique opportunity to restore a sound and responsible two-party system. The defeat of many Republican moderates and liberals across the nation is a powerful argument against party leaders from the right.

While the expulsion of Dean Burch from the position of National Chairman would be a dramatic symbol of Goldwater's total defeat, Republicans should not concentrate their rehabilitation efforts on petty personal conflicts and impulsive Nixonian pronouncements. Burch's inept campaign has probably incurred the wrath of responsibly conservative Republicans; he may lose a vote of confidence at the January National Committee meeting, even with only a minimum of effort by anti-Goldwater tacticians.

Rather than alienate responsible conservatives with vicious attacks on Burch, liberals and moderates should attempt to develop a reasonable Republican critique of Administration policy. By functioning as a loyal opposition in Congress, the GOP can be a constructive force in the formulation of legislative decisions and national goals. This year's civil rights bill was substantially improved by Republican participation in the debate, and even under Taft conservatism contributed materially to housing legislation and bipartisan foreign policy. Constructive criticism during the new Johnson administration--in such areas as tax reform, education legislation, and defense policy. Constructive criticism during the new Johnson administration--in such areas as tax reform, education legislation, and defense policies--will be consistent with the tradition of an effective minority party, and will demonstrate how destructive the Goldwater uprising might have been.

Moderates who would regain control of the party should urge their philosophy upon state and local organizations and encourage men of their ilk to seek both responsible party positions and public office. A "national conference" of Republicans, as proposed by Massachusetts Attorney General Edward W. Brooke, would be a reasonable means of determining a new party philosophy; and by next summer moderates and liberals might well prevail in such a confrontation. In any case, all mechanisms for achieving moderate control, including the Republican Governors' Conference and the Congressional caucuses, ought to be explored immediately.