Kennedy Named to Succeed Bailey As Secretary to the Corporation

Registrar to Assume New Post Next July

By Sanford J. Ungar

Sargent Kennedy '28, Registrar of the College and of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, was named Secretary to the Corporation and the Board of Overseers by President Pusey last Friday.

He will succeed David W. Bailey '21 on July 1, 1965 as administrator of the affairs of the University's two major governing boards. He was previously Acting Secretary, when Bailey underwent an operation in early 1963.

Kennedy, who is 59, will complete his twentieth year as Registrar of the College in June. He was also Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences from 1945 until 1959, when he consolidated the records of the College and the GSAS, thus becoming Registrar of both.

As Registrar of the two University divisions, Kennedy was responsible for scheduling all classes and examinations and for keeping the academic records of their students. During his tenure Harvard and Radcliffe classes and examinations have been combined.

After graduating from the College, Kennedy received graduate degrees from Harvard in both engineering and business administration. Before joining the University Administration in 1939, he had worked in the plant department and as an engineer for the New Jersey Bell Telephone Company and had done research in human relations at the Business School.

Jazz Man

As an undergraduate, Kennedy played a Dixieland jazz cornet and for a time considered entering the musical profession.

He served as Assistant Dean of the College from 1939 until 1945, when he became Registrar. His later consolidation of the records of the College and GSAS has been hailed as an effective step in streamlining University record-keeping. As the College has grown, he has held to a minimum the complications in the registration process.

A native of Cambridge, Kennedy is a trustee of Browne and Nichols School and a member of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers.

President Pusey is expected to name a new Registrar in the next few months.