Soccer Team in Middle Of Scrambled Ivy Race

Two upsets last Saturday threw the Ivy League soccer race into an incredible jumble and left Harvard with an improved chance for a share of its fourth straight league title.

Princeton and Yale, teams that weren't supposed to have much talent when the season began, went into last Saturday's games in a tie for first place at 2-0-1. Just behind was Dartmouth (2-1).

The Princeton-Yale bubble burst Saturday. Both Tigers and Bulldogs lost their scoring touch completely, and Dartmouth, which beat Yale 1-0, took over the league lead at 3-1.

The Elis played a good game against Dartmouth and almost scored half a dozen times after the Green took a third-quarter lead. Only a four-fullback defense gave Yale its first loss of the year.

Less impressive was Princeton, which took a 2-0 beating from pre-season favorite Brown. It was the first time this year that coach Cliff Stevenson's Bruins have played up to their potential, and they completely stifled a Princeton offense that hadn't done too much scoring all year.

The games sent Dartmouth into a one-point league lead under the scoring system that gives two points for a win, one for a tie.

In back of the Indians, four teams are tied for second place, with just three games left in the season. Brown and Harvard moved up to tie Princeton and Yale.

Penn, Game

The Crimson's offense finally got rolling and worked for a relatively easy 5-2 win over Penn Saturday.

But though the offense seems to have jelled, Harvard is still not among the favorites for the title. The reason is the schedule: the Crimson has games left with Princeton, Yale, and Brown, three of the league leaders.

Princeton and Yale must also play each other; Brown must play Harvard. Unquestionably the team with the easiest road to the title is league-leading Dartmouth, whose only remaining games are with Cornell, Columbia, and Penn, the league's three tailenders.