Advertisement

Fury Closet Shatters Calm Winthrop Sleep

About 175 pajama-clad Winthrop House stalwarts were awakened and sent into the cool morning air early-Saturday by the melodic strains of the Gore Hall fire alarm. This time it was the real thing.

At 4:15 a.m. James Lepowsky '65 woke up in Winthrop J-12 and saw the room filled with smoke. He found the closet of his roommate, Robert J. Gordon '65, aflame, and they turned in the alarm. Several fire trucks responded to the call, and the firemen doused the blaze with water.

The fire started when clothes fell on a standing lamp in Gordon's closet. All of his clothing in the closet was destroyed, and the entire suite suffered serious smoke damage; repairs will keep Lepowsky and Gordon out of their room for at least a week.

Advertisement