Pudgy 'Cliffies Spurn Bus; HSA Discontinues Service

Radcliffe's bus service is being discontinued after only one week of trial service, the HSA announced last night.

John W. Harmon '65, who initiated the defunct line, said that the service was being dropped because it had not proved financially self-sufficient. He added that there was no indication that the situation would improve. "We wanted to find out and we did; in a week we were sitisfied that we knew," Harmon said last night.

'Cliffies Want Exercise

Trying to explain the line's failure, Harmon blamed "calorie conscious Cliffies" as the primary cause. Referring to a poll taken last spring at Radcliffe, in which Cliffies were asked to characterise themselves as "overweight," "under-weight," or "just right," he commented, "the fact that no Cliffes said they were underweight was a statistic we should have noted earlier."

However, there had been an ardent 50-strong "three-times-a-day core" of faithful commuters who were establishing a budding Thou relationship with the Radcliffe bus, he noted. The line would have needed about twice as many faithful devotees, though, in order to cover the day-to-day managerial and operative costs of the service.