New 'Grolier Review' To Appear in Spring

Several young writers in Cambridge and New York are starting a new literary quarterly. The first issue of the Grolier Review will appear in June.

Although many Harvard students are involved, it is "by no means an undergraduate publication," according to Chase Mellen '66, one of the three business editors. William Burroughs, John Hawkes and Robert Lowell have promised to submit material.

Each issue will include a novella and one or two short stories and poems. According to Mellen, most of today's magazines are reluctant to publish novellas. The editors intend to pay "what is a high rate for a starting magazine," with $500 the top fee for fiction. The magazine will not include much criticism.

The editors are "looking for writers with a voice, with consistency of statement," Mellen claimed. They are anxious to publish experimental work, but not "strange, disconnected, beatnik babblings."

The first issue will be financed largely with the proceeds of a party to be held tomorrow in Leverett House Old Library. It will include a seven-page poem by James Dickey, and a short novel by Clive Miller '59, entitled. The Right To Die.

Roger D. Brown is managing editor. Jonathan Kozol '58, author of Fume of Poppies, and Richard Tilinghast are the senior editors in Cambridge. Herbert Kohl '59, and Mark Mirsky '61 are the New York senior editors.