Larry Rockefeller Nearly Excluded From Mock Republican Convention

By Robert J. Samuelson

Laurance Rockefeller '66, nephew of Gov. Nelson A. Rockefeller (R.N.Y.), was nearly denied admission last night to a New England Mock Republican National Convention to be held at Wellesley today. After a bitter debate the convention's credentials committee voted 4-3 to let Rockefeller join the Harvard Young Republican Club's delegation and lead the floor fight for his uncle.

The dispute arose when John W. Starr '64 protested the omission of Rockefeller's name from the Harvard delegation list. Starr appealed to a convention rule that delegates' names may be submitted orally as well as in writing.

Starr said that during a conversation in the Quincy House dining hall about two weeks ago, he had told credentials committee chairman James I.K. Knapp '64 that "Larry will head up the Rockefeller floor fight," but that his name had accidently been left off the list.

Knapp, a Goldwater supporter, denied that the conversation constituted formal notification, but Starr insisted that the situation was covered by the rules. "The point is not the intent," Knapp retorted, "it is the fact."

The inclusion of Rockefeller brought the size of the Harvard contingent to 226, making it by far the largest delegation at the convention. Agreement on this number was not reached until tonight, when Starr informally protested to Knapp that the Harvard group had been unfairly limited to only 97. Knapp conceded the mistake, but said it was the result of a disorderly list of delegates given to him.

There have been widespread charges that Knapp has abused his position as chairman in favor of Goldwater.

Expansion of the Harvard group is considered a major coup for the forces of Gov. Rockefeller. By one estimate, about three quarters of its members back the New York governor.

Tomorrow's activities get underway at noon in Wellesley's Alumnae Hall with a keynote address by Rep. Robert Dole (R-Kan.).