Runners Set 2 Records; Place 2nd in NEAAU

By Philip Ardery

Junior sprinter Aggrey Awori, running on a heavily taped right ankle, set a meet record in last night's New England AAU Championships at M.I.T., but Coach Bill McCurdy's decision to use his troops sparingly allowed Holy Cross to walk off with the team title.

A fast finish gave Awori first place in the 45-yard hurdles in the record time of 5.8 seconds, 0.1 faster than the old mark. Sophomore Tony Lynch took second place, half a step behind the Ugandan.

In the 50-yard dash, it was a different story. A tired Awori slowed at the finish of the final heat and finished fifth in a field of six. No other Crimson sprinter made it past the preliminary heats.

Chris Ohiri had set another meet record in the afternoon, broad-jumping 23 ft., 5 1/2 in. These early points gave the Crimson a tenous lead going into the evening field events and the middle distance runs, but the paucity of Crimson trackmen entered in these ruined any hopes of a team title.

Don Forte took third in the pole vault, springing 12 ft., 8 in., 8 1/4 in. short of the winning vault by Vermont's Don Mayland. In the 600-yard run, Dick Briggs and Dieter Wahl finished in 1:19.3 and 1:19.4, well behind the record time of 1:14.6, by sophomore Bob Credle of Holy Cross.

McCurdy entered only two runners in the mile and one in the 1000-yard run, and all three finished well off the winning paces. No Crimson trackman tried the three-mile run, or the high jump.

The most exciting event of the evening was the last one, the final heat of the mile relay. The Crimson foursome held the lead for the first nine laps but Holy Cross caught up on the next to last turn, and held on to win by two yards.