HCUA Votes Against Discrimination In Constitutions of All Organizations

The Harvard Council on Undergraduate Affairs last night endorsed a provision prohibiting undergraduate organizations from discriminating in their constitutions, and then rejected a broader provision which would have expressly forbidden organizations to practice discrimination in their membership or activities.

The HUCA's proposed change will now go to the Faculty Committee on Student Activities for final action.

Trial Inter-house

A recommendation that a limited Harvard-Radcliffe interhouse be instituted on a trial basis was also adopted, and it will now be sent to the Radcliffe Government Association for their aprpoval.

Debate on the discrimination provisions centered on the question of hypocrisy. Proponents of the stronger provision contended that requiring a club only to have a membership clause "which does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or religion," tacitly accepted discrimination as long as it wasn't in the constitution.

Defenders of the final version claimed it was impossible to check or prove discreet discrimination. H. Reed Ellis, '65, chairman of the HUCA, pointed out that Dean Watson has said if discrimination could be proved against any Harvard organization, it would be called before the Faculty Committee. Ellis said Watson's statement had specifically included the final clubs.

For a trial period of April and May, the interhouse proposal would allow Radcliffe students to eat without cost in the Houses on date nights when escorted by a Harvard undergraduate. Similarly, Harvard students would be allowed to eat interhouse at Radcliffe as the dates of 'Cliffies. The Masters must approve the change before it goes into effect, however.