Doty Committee Sends Draft Report to CEP

By Richard Cotton

The Faculty Committee to Review General Education has sent its report to the Committee on Educational Policy.

Paul M. Doty, professor of Chemistry and chairman of the review committee, emphasized yesterday that the committee's report was still in the drafting stage and had been submitted to the CEP for its advice and suggestions. Some changes and revisions might still be incorporated before the final verson is sent to the Faculty, he said.

The dialogue between the CEP and the Doty committee is expected to require at least a month and might take considerably longer.

When the report was discussed at a joint meeting this week, the CEP and the Doty Committee agreed it was highly improbable that the report would go to the Faculty this semester, according to one member of the Doty committee. Thus the timetable emerging for the report will send it to the Faculty next Fall, and it will probably not be made public until the general Faculty mailing.

"Tortuous Excursions"

The report, which could have an important effect on the College's educational policy, had been expected before the end of last semester. At that time, Doty attributed the delay to "a series of tortuous excursions" into different aspects of the General Education program which various members of the committee took this fall.

Although Doty hadn't expected the report to be ready until next month at the earliest, the committee's progress during January and February proved better than he had expected. It reached an "oral consensus" about the beginning of February and spent the last two months drafting their recommendations into final form.

Dean Ford, chairman of the Committee on Educational Policy, refused to comment on the report. He said he would have nothing to say until the final recommendations were sent to the Faculty.