Doty Committee to Send Report To CEP by End of This Month

But Faculty Action May Wait Till Fall

By Hendrik Hertzberg

The long-awaited report of the Faculty Committee to Review General Education will definitely be ready for consideration by the Committee on Educational Policy before the end of the month, Dean Ford said yesterday.

But Ford added that the final draft of the report will not reach the full Faculty until May at the very earliest.

The dialogue between the CEP and the special committee will probably delay Faculty action until next Fall.

The report, which is sure to have important effects on academic policy in the College, was originally expected to be ready at the end of last semester, but disagreements within the Committee held it up.

Faster Than Expected

Paul M. Doty, professor of Chemistry and chairman of the special committee, said last night that the committee's progress over the past two months has been "better than expected."

Doty said that the committee reached an "oral consensus" about five weeks ago and that the report is now in the drafting stage.

It now seems certain that the committee will issue a unanimous report. As recently as two weeks ago there was speculation that a split between scientists and humanists might result in one or more minority reports in addition to the official report of the committee.

Divisions May Differ

Doty declined to specify the contents of the report. He did however say, that the structure his committee would recommend "will not find as much use for those classic divisions" of the sciences, social sciences and humanities.

Although Doty's committee reportedly began its deliberations with a conservative outlook, there are now indications that it is undertaking a more fundamental re-evaluation of the form, if not the purpose, of the General Education program.