Jim Campen, Abrams Lead Golfers; Two Sophomores Give Team Depth

Amherst Match Today

A golf team that might be one of Harvard's best in years opens its season tomorrow with a match at Amherst at 1:30 p.m.

Coach Cooney Weiland's squad last year posted a 7-7 record and five lettermen, including last year's top three, are back in action once again.

This year, however, the Mutt-and-Jeff combination that holds down the top two posts on the squad has been reversed, with 140-pound Jim Campen moving into the top position ahead of long-hitting captain Stan Abrams.

Campen, a specialist in the short game, put together a 6-2 record last year. He won the number one position away from Abrams during the team's vacation stay in Pinehurst, N.C., playing in the low 70's over a difficult course.

Campen Led Last Year

Last year Campen was the team's low scorer in five matches and led the squad in the Greater Boston Championships, where he finished second. Harvard won the team title.

Abrams, a 200-pounder, won seven matches and lost seven playing number one last year. As a sophomore he played at number two and lost only one match.

Peter Tague, a junior, will be back in the number three position this season; last year he had a winning record and a big win in the Crimson's 4-3 triumph over a strong Dartmouth squad.

Hawkins Added

Last year's fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh players, Bob Holton, Doug Eaton, Dennis Wollan, and Warren Nixon, all graduated, but some of the losses should be made up for by the addition of John Hawkins, a 130-pound sophomore who went undefeated as the top players on last year's freshman team. Hawkins put together a 4-0 record in freshman competition.

Another sophomore, Mike Millis, will fill the number five spot behind Hawkins in today's match, with classmate Wayne Thornbrough playing in the sixth position. Senior letterman Bob Seelert will be playing in the seventh slot.

Last year Harvard squeaked past the Lord Jeffs, 4-3. In cold weather that makes any golf inconsistent, today's match has to be considered a tossup. Later this season the Crimson looks for its toughest competition from perennially powerful Yale. Princeton, the best team around last season, lost five of its top seven players.

Cornell and Brown, both winners over last year's Crimson squad, should be strong again. Navy, probably the best team in the East, was dropped, perhaps mercifully, from this year's schedule.