RGA Will Allow 100 Officials to Vote In Election of Executive Committee

By Ellen Lake

By a nearly unanimous vote yesterday, members of RGA decided to allow 100 administration officials to cast ballots in the annual election of the seven undergraduate members of the RGA executive committee. Except for one girl who abstained, all the students and officials at the meeting approved the proposal.

The amendment to the Association's by-laws will allow non-student members of the Radcliffe community to vote for the first time in RGA elections. In the past, no administration officials have voted, because although the RGA constitution granted them the franchise, an inconsistency in the by-laws limited the vote to students.

Student Vote Limited

Although the change is intended to make RGA a truly joint student-administration organization, it will not allow undergraduates to vote for the administrative vice president, the one administration member of the executive committee.

President Bunting justified this by explaining that the administrative vice presidency is an appointive job and is not filled by a vote of administration officials. The present administrative vice president is Mary II. Winslow, director of Residence.

In other action, it was announced that beginning Monday Cliffies who live in off-campus houses will be able to decide each day whether to eat lunch or dinner in the brick dormitories. Girls who choose lunch will also be able to eat without charge in the Graduate Center. Previously, off-campus students could eat only dinner in the dorms, and had to pay to eat lunch in the Grad Center.

The Legislature also discussed a proposal to recommend that Radcliffe Library remain open on Saturdays until 5:30 p.m., instead of the present 4:30 p.m. Although the college would have to approve an extra $300-$400 to finance the extension, Mrs. Bunting said that the administration would consider the extra expense if demand was great.

A census of the number of Cliffies using the library at 4:30 p.m. will be conducted this Saturday.