Newman Heads Behavior Center; Miller to Chair Psych Department

Edwin B. Newman, lecturer on Psychology, has been named Director of the new Behavioral Sciences Center, President Pusey announced yesterday.

At the monthly meeting of the Faculty, Pusey also disclosed that George A. Miller, professor of Psychology, will replace Newman as Chairman of the Department of Psychology.

As director of the Behavioral Sciences Center--a newly created post--Newman will be responsible for "the general administration of research grants and the operations of the physical facility" of William James Hall, Dean Ford said yesterday.

Newman will head a five-man executive committee appointed to oversee the Center. Besides Newman, who is also Director of the Psychological Laboratories, the committee includes Jerome F. Bruner, professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Cognitive Studies; David C. McClelland, professor of Psychology and Chairman of the Department of Social Relations; Miller; and Robert F. Bales, professor of Social Relations and Director of the Social Relations Laboratories.

Since McClelland, Miller and Bales are all absent this year, Roger W. Brown, professor of Social Psychology and Acting Chairman of the Soc Rel Department, and Talcott Parsons, professor of Sociology, will serve on the committee until June 30.

Ford said that while the "general allocation of space" in William James Hall has already been made, the committee will be needed to iron out disputes over who gets what space and 'what contract commitments can be "what contract commitments can be

Recommended Articles

Herrnstein
Academic freedom--and the accuracy of an article on IQ published by Richard J. Herrnstein, professor of Psychology, in a recent
Ford Foundation Gives Subsidy to Behavioral Study
The Behavioral Science Division of the Ford Foundation is offering a limited group of experimental graduate fellowships in the Behavioral
Faculty Approves Change in Name For Semitic Languages Department
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences voted yesterday to change the title "Department of Semitic Languages and History" to "Department
New Chairmen Named In Three Departments
New chairmen of the Government, Psychology and Social Relations departments were named by Dean Ford Tuesday. They are Samuel P.
PSR Simplifies Moniker, Forsakes SR to Become P
Above the central elevator of William James Hall, home of the Psychology and Social Relations Department, an inscription prominently displays
Professors Seek Autonomy For Social Psychologists
The decision of Harvard sociologists to leave the Social Relations Department and form a department of their own has encouraged