Radcliffe May Not Abandon Off-Quad Life

Mrs. Bunting said last night that Radcliffe may save some of the off-campus houses after all. "We see some real advantages in retaining them," she stated.

No definite predictions could be made now, she continued, but "if the college gets larger, it would be tempting to keep off-campus housing."

So far, two off-campus houses, Everett and Savile, have been torn down to make room for the Library Study Center. A contract has already been signed for renting a house to replace Saville, but provision for replacing Everett are still not yet complete.

Provisions for Emigres

Mrs. Bunting said that these new houses may be retained or others rented even after the Fourth House is built. But "everything else along Garden Street in that block will go down," she confirmed, although other houses will have to be bought or rented to make room for the displaced 'Cliffies.

Mrs. Bunting mentioned the cost of upkeep as the major objection to off-campus houses.

A general fear that off-campus houses were to be abolished as soon as the Fourth House is finished has pervaded Radcliffe. Students circulated a petition in March protesting the destruction of off-campus living. Hearing the news, one Edmands house resident sighed in relief. "If it's just the money, we'll raise it on street corners."

The head resident of one of the brick dormitories cited the "variety of experience" and "respect for privacy" as advantages of off-campus living.