Erhard to Get Honorary Here

West German Chancellor Ludwig Erhard will receive one of the honorary degrees to be conferred at the Harvard commencement this June, the German Embassy in Washington indicated yesterday.

"Unfortunately, the news has leaked out in Germany, even though this sort of thing is supposed to remain confidential," an Embassy official remarked, "but he will definitely be visiting Harvard, Washington, and perhaps New York." It is Harvard's policy not to announce the recipients until Commencement Day.

A University spokesman said yesterday that an invitation had been sent, but refused to confirm that Erhard would receive a degree. "However, when a European dignitary is invited to any college commencement, the natural supposition is that he's going to get some sort of degree," he added.

Most of the arrangements for honorary degrees have already been made and it appears that about 15 degrees will be awarded.

It is not known whether Erhard has been asked to deliver the address to Harvard Alumni Association on Commencement afternoon.