GOP Magazine 'Advance' Folds

Advance magazine folded last week after three years as a "journal of political thought" and the unofficial organ of the liberal wing of the Republican party.

The magazine was founded at Harvard and published out of Quincy House until its editors graduated in 1962, when it moved its offices to Washington. A letter from publisher Bruce K. Chapman '62 and other staff members to "friends of Advance" blamed the magazine's demise on the failure of rich liberal Republicans to provide financial support.

"For the past two desperate months, we have knocked on many doors of the powerful as we sought to recover from the financial loss incurred by the destruction of our Kennedy issue, slated for mass distribution on November 22."

The letter called for "progressive Republicans" to "institutionalize their movement" or face political suicide.

The Goldwater branch of the GOP greeted the retreat of Advance with glee. The right-wing weekly Human Events gloated in an editorial that the magazine and its editors had been "little more than annoying thorns in the sides of conservative and moderate Republicans."