Lacrosse Ten Outslogs Tech Team in Mud, 12-6

By Steven V. Roberts

Hampered by incessant rain and chilling wind, the Harvard lacrosse team outslogged M.I.T. in the mud of the Business School field yesterday and won the opening game of its home season, 12-6.

Weak defensively, M.I.T. fielded two strong midfield units that threatened the Crimson goal throughout the first half. The Engineers actually held a 4-3 lead for six minutes during the second period after a goal by midfielder Ron Mandle

Captain Pete Wood rammed home a 10 foot shot after a pass from Tink Gunnoe to tie the score at 7:10 of the period. Ted Leary put the Crimson ahead two minutes later when he batted a loose ball past the surprised M.I.T. goalie.

Starting the second half, attackman Dick Ames dodged several defenders to score unassisted. Gunnoe increased the Harvard lead to three goals when he cluded a midfielder and fired a hard shot into the upper corner of the goal at 2:20. After M.I.T. made its fifth goal Wood scored his third of the day after a pass from Leary.

The Engineers' Wayne Matson--the leader scorer in Tech history--cut the lead to 8-6 with his third goal as the final period began. But M.I.T. was weary, and they threatened no more. Led by Lou Williams, the Crimson scored four more goals in the final minutes of play.

Harvard dominated play for the first four minutes of the game as the Tech defense could not clear the ball. Wood and Gunnoe each scored an unassisted goal but the Engineers began to function, and Matson scored twice to even the score. Ames tallied perhaps the prettiest goal of the game after a long run at 11:40, but came up limping. Tech's Bob Beardsley tied it seconds later, and then Mandle gave M.I.T. its short-lived lead.

The muddy field made smooth passwork an achievement in itself. Players got mud in their sticks, and often lofted gobs of goo along with the ball after scooping it off the ground. The midfield play was especially sloppy, and not altogether gentle. On several occasions the officials allowed the pushing and shoving over loose balls to go a bit far, and there will be plenty of sore ribs for a few days.