Police Nab Two After Early-Hour Fight at the Bick

By Harrison Young

A Cambridge youth got into a fight with the policeman in the Bick early Saturday morning, and has been charged with assault and battery. Joseph Tyree, 20, and his companion, Robert Mitchell, 20, were also both charged with disturbing the peace.

Tyree and Mitchell entered the restaurant at about 1:30 a.m. and asked for a cup of coffee. According to others in the Bick at the time, Matthew Giacappa, the policeman on duty, told the man behind the counter not to serve Tyree.

Tyree reportedly protested and Giacappa attempted to remove him from the restaurant. According to one account, Tyree lunged at Giacappa near the door, when he saw the officer reaching for his billy club. Giacappa reportedly then "threw" Tyree out the door.

Begin Fighting

Outside they began fighting. The two grappled on the ground and Giacappa had his head banged on the sidewalk. Several bystanders, including Mitchell, tried unsuccessfully to restrain Tyree, who, reportedly "did pretty good for someone with four guys on him."

By then half a dozen policemen had arrived and Tyree was subdued. He was arrested and taken to the Central Square station. Mitchell, who according to one account was then simply watching the arrest, was also taken to jail.

Giacappa was admitted to Mt. Auburn Hospital for observation. His condition yesterday was reported as good.

Tyree and Mitchell were arraigned Saturday. The case was continued, and the trial will begin May 19 in Cambridge District Court. Their lawyer, Edward J. Barshak, is currently seeking witnesses.

Tyree and Mitchell are Negroes, and several people in the crowd that gathered to watch the fight and the arrest charged racial discrimination. Police denied this, however:

"He tries to take advantage of the fact he's a Negro," one officer said. "He's just a troublemaker, that Tyree. He could have been Jewish or Irish or Italian. People are people."