Net Team Picks Peckham To Lead Squad in '64-'65

Dean Peckham '65, of Adams House and Deep River Conn., will captain Harvard's varsity tennis team next year.

After beginning this season in the number eight position, Peckham won a succession of challenge matches, moving himself to the fifth spot by the season's end. After advancing to the top six, his only loss was a match at Yale, where he was bothered by a heel injury.

Unquestionably Peckham's best match of the season came when Princeton's undefeated Tigers, a national tennis power, visited Harvard May 2. Until that day, no Princeton player had lost a singles match in Eastern League play.

That particular record lasted about 20 minutes before Peckham buried Lee Rawls in the number six singles match, 6-0, 6-1.

Peckham also teamed with classmate Chum Steele in doubles, playing as the number two team for part of the year and later as the number one combination.

He will captain a squad with four of the top six men returning from a squad that posted a 16-3-1 record, and lost only one match after returning from a split-squad southern tour.

Recommended Articles

Grapplers Drop Ivy Opener
It was a perfect example of winning the battle but losing the war. The Harvard wrestling team swept five individual
W. Tennis Downs Owls, Drop to Eagles
The women's tennis team fell just short of a sweep on Saturday, dropping the evening match to Boston College, 4-3,
Grapplers Take a Split
The Harvard men's wrestling team split a doubleheader yesterday at the Malkin Athletic Center, defeating Albany State, 30-10, and losing
Sports Wrap Sports Wrap Sports Wrap Sports Wrap Sports
The Harvard men's swimming team captured a key ECAC match on Saturday when it defeated Army, 126-89, at Blodgett Pool.
Netmen Overwhelm Lord Jeffs, 9-0; All 10 Players Win in Straight Sets
No one on the varsity tennis team lost a set Saturday as the Crimson coasted to a 9-0 victory over
Grapplers Crush Yale, 28-8
Here's a fun, fun, good-time wrestling riddle for you. Q: What stalls more than a '78 Monte Carlo riding through