Bate Wins Faculty Prize for Book On Keats; Banfield, Wilson Honored

Walter Jackson Bate '39, Abbott Lawrence Lowell Professor of the Humanities, has won the Faculty Prize of the Harvard University Press this year for his book John Keats. The $2000 prize honors the most distinguished manuscript submitted by a Harvard scholar during the year.

Honorable mention went jointly to Edward C. Banfield, Henry Lee Shattuck Professor of Urban Government, and James Q. Wilson, associate professor of Government, for their book City Politics.

President Pusey awarded the prize on Wednesday at a noon luncheon. The award is administered by senior faculty members from a variety of disciplines who compose the Syndics of the Harvard University Press. They appoint an ad hoc selection committee of other scholars outside Harvard to choose the winner.

Professor Bate's study of Keats won the Pulitizer Prize for Biography earlier this year. Another of his books, The Achievement of Samuel Johnson, won the Christian Gauss Prize in 1955.

Professor Banfield is also the author of Political Influence and The Moral Basis of a Backward Society. His collaborator, Professor Wilson, has written Negro Politics: the Search for Leadership and The Amateur Democrat.