WHRB Will Play During Summer

Radio station WHRB has announced plans to continue its 96-hour-per-week broadcast schedule throughout the summer. From June 14 to Sept. 19 the station will give forth its regular fare with only "minor changes," Charles A. Murray '65, president of WHRB, said yesterday.

This is the first time the station has had the reserves to finance summer operations, according to Murray. WHRB has previously gone off the air from the weekend after Commencement until the weekend before Registration.

"We've had a lot of listeners who have asked us to stay on" said Murray, who cited "audience continuity" as the major reason for the decision. Since most of WHRB's regular listeners are not associated with the University, he explained, suspension of service over the summer means "we have to win back a large part of our audience" each September.

Twenty-five current staff members have volunteered to man WHRB's controls in Claverly Hall over the summer. No students from the Summer School will be recruited.

The only scheduling change planned for the summer is a reduction in the number of programs requiring "elaborate scripting," Murray said. The number of classical music features will be cut from the present 11 per week, and coverage of University news will be curtailed.

Hours of broadcasting will be the same as during the rest of the year: 1:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. week-days, 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sundays.

If this summer's operations are successful said Murray, WHRB will continue broadcasting every summer.