Four Panelists Assess Islam's Role In Moslem Life and Politics Today

By Susan Schumacher

Four Moslem speakers at the International Seminar Wednesday night discussed the modern changes in their countries and the role Islam still plays in the modern world.

A.J. Hatepota, professor of Comparative Religion and Islamic Culture at the University of Sind, pointed out that the word "Islam" means submission. The Islamic man must surrender himself to God, who is the only one to be worshipped.

Islamic life is not divided into the secular and temporal, Hatepota said, and man is thus completely responsible to God. And in order to bring about a unity with his God, the Islamic man must practice strict discipline.

The Islamic concepts and discipline, Hatepota said, have not been modernized. They can be understood and applied, however, by both the illiterate and the intellectual, as well today as centuries ago. He said Islam has found a place in the modern world because the religion commends thinking and experimentation.

Abdul-Taib, Minister of Communications and Work in Malaysia, emphasized that Islam was an important factor in the building of a stable government in Malaysia seven years ago. Rather than a violent revolution, there was instead an evolution toward modern statehood.

He felt that Islam was one of the unifying ties in the formation of a new government: as the religion beame incorporated into the new trend, it gave tradition to the new order. Abdul-Taib said Moslems believe that political advancement leads to spiritual satisfaction, and, thus, the people, instead of becoming restless and distrustful, acquired "a patient outlook and a trust in the government's leadership."

Faruki, Barister of Law, said there can be no possibility of peace and understanding between Islam and the West unless the West realizes it shares the same basic values with Islam. Then the common element of agreement can be worked upon and developed.

Erfan Ahmed of Burmeh-Shell Oil Company in Pakistan discounted any particular Islamic approach to economics, observing that economic development was "theologically neutral." He said Pakistan, an extremely poor country, is beseiged by the same problems and is aimng at the same goals as other undeveloped countries. Islam may give strength to the cause of educating the illiterate and of insuring the population against poverty, but it is not going to ease the uphill struggle, he said.