Summer School Poetry Laurels Won by Plumer

A graduate student in the School of Education and a University employee have won top honors in the Fourth Annual Summer School Poetry Contest, it was announced Wednesday.

Davenport Plumer took first prize, Anne Winters second. Miss Winters is a secretary in the Littauer Center; she is not taking any courses. Third prize went to Worth Long, a 28-year-old SNCC worker enrolled in the Summer School.

Honorable mentions were awarded to John W. Gibson, Etta Wolpert, and Jack Sullivan. Miss Wolpert is an assistant professor at Haverhill North Essex Community College. Gibson is a junior at Emerson College.

Selections Read

The winners read selections of their poems in the Lamont Forum Room on Wednesday afternoon. Some of the winning entries are printed on page three of this issue.

Three summer school faculty members judged teh competition, and prizes were based on the entire portfolio submitted by each poe. Winners, however, read only selected poems yesterday, and the poems prinetd on page three are only samples of the work of the winners.

The Summer School has sponsored a poetry contest for the past four years, and each contest has elicited a strong response from summer school students.