Trackmen Top Brown; Freshmen Steal Show

The awesome freshman track team stole the spotlight from the varsity over the weekend by setting three Harvard record, in Saturday's Knights of Columbus meet in the Boston Garden.

Friday, the varsity stretched its season's mark to 4-0 with a 72-37 walloping of Brown, but the upperclassmen took a back seat to the Yardlings in the K of C's.

Jeff Huvelle won the collegiate 500-yard run by nipping varsity teammate Sam Robinson and Yale junior Henry Cole at the tape. Huvelle also anchored the winning mile relay team, which set a Harvard freshman record with a 3:25.6 clocking.

The Yardling two-mile relay squad of Richard Langenbach, Bob Stempson, David McKelvey, and Bill Burns beat the top varsity foursomes from Brown, Yale, and Rhode Island in 7:49.4 to set another freshman mark. The old record of 8:08.8 was set against Army last month by a different combination.

Yet another standout Yardling performance came from Briton Jim Baker, captain of the cross-country runners this fall. Baker took second place behind Northeastern senior Dave Dunsky in the mile run for New England Collegians, beating out Brown's Vic Boog and the Crimson's Jim Smith in the process. Baker's time, 4:17.7, broke the Harvard freshman record he had set just the night before against Brown.

The varsity showing in the K of C's was considerably deflated by the absence of high jumper Chris Pardee and two-miler Walt Hewlett. Both won their events Friday against Brown, but Pardee aggravated an ankle injury jumping against the Bruins, and Hewlett did not compete because of a bad cold.

But even without these two the Crimson varsity got its share of the Sunday headlines, hanks to an incredible strongman effort by Aggrey Awori. Running a total of five races against Olympic-calibre competition, the senior from Uganda took fourth places in the hurdles, dash, and broad jump.

Captain Art Croasdale also won twice against the Bruins, throwing the weight 56 ft., 61/2., and putting the shot 54 ft., 111/2 in.