New Forms for Foreign Applicants Reduce Number of Would-Be Cliffies

Total application to Radcliffe have declined by 2 per cent this year, largely because of a whopping 59 per cent fall in foreign applications, Margaret W. Stimpson, Dean of Admissions, said yesterday.

Mrs. Stimpson attributed these decreases, which halt a two-year upward trend, to major changes in admissions policies.

A new application form for foreign students is now in use which asks detailed questions about the applicant's school to determine her proficiency in , Mrs. Stimpson explained. The other major policy change took place last year, when it was decided to eliminate the early decision plan for the Class of '69.

Mrs. Stimpson added that these changes reflect the policy of the Admissions Office to encourage applicants to be more thoughtful about their choice of colleges. "It's our responsibility to limit applications to those which are realistic," she noted.

This year, for the first time, staff members of the Admissions Office are visiting preparatory and high schools to explain Radcliffe's admissions policies and problems. Mrs. Stimpson hopes that this program will help students determine if their application to Radcliffe would be "realistic."

Although applications dropped from 2233 for the Class of '63 to 2181 for the Class of '69, the ratio of acceptances to applications is still roughly one to seven.

The proportion of prospective students applying for financial aid also has remained constant, at 50 per cent, according to Betty Lou N. Marple, Director of Financial Aid.