New Wellesley Trimester Will Offer Added Room for Independent Study

Wellesley College will switch to a trimester system next fall.

The first term will run from September to Christmas, and the second from January to late March, with a four course requirement in each. The third term will run only from April to early June, with two courses required.

One of the main purposes of the plan is to provide more time for independent study. "We think independent work belongs in the experience of every undergraduate," Miss Virginia Onderdonk, dean of the College, explained. Instead of a second course in the last term, every junior will undertake a research project in her major or in a related department.

Seniors will take three courses instead of four in the second term and only one in the last term. They will devote the rest of their study time to preparation for their general examinations in May.

For the first time, every student will be required to take two newly devised lecture courses in general education. Distribution requirements will also be increased. The student education committee had recommended curtailing distribution requirements.

The student body expressed overwhelming support for the changes in a recent poll by the Wellesley News. Some feared that the senior generals will be more difficult as a result of the extra time provided for preparation. Many added that they welcomed the increased challenge.

Alan Schechter, assistant professor of Political Science, commented "I think the idea of giving seniors 50 per cent of the third term for the purpose of reviewing their major field is an important addition to the curriculum."

Recommended Articles

Coast Guard Tops Crimson, 40 to 34, Despite Late Rally
Despite a fourth period rally which featured five successive field goals, Harvard's basketball team went down before the Boston Coast
Course Reductions in Spring Term Show Effect of War
With casualties in every field, Harvard's offerings for the spring term present a problem to all but the dilettante. Well-recommended
S.R.O.
A NUMBER of professors stood behind their lecterns for their first classes of the semester last week and told the
Spring Admission Denied Freshmen
Normaley returned to another phase of University life yesterday as the Committee on Admissions announced that no new men will
Curriculum Flexibility and Experimentation:
( Rick Tilden '71 and Steve Bowman '72 were involved in the activities of New College and are now members
Faculty Votes Full Courses Out for War
To simplify the course credit system, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences has voted to abolish all full courses for