Biochemistry Groups May Merge Soon

Bio Department Head Will Make Resolution

Donald R. Griffin '38, professor of Zoology and chairman of the Biology Department, will present a motion to the Faculty tomorrow asking that a Standing Committee on Biochemistry and Molecular Biology be formed from two present committees.

The Committee for Undergraduate Concentration in Biochemical Sciences and the Committee for Higher Degrees in Biochemistry would be merged, according to the motion.

The merger has strong backing from both the Chemistry and Biology departments. William Lipscomb, Jr., professor of Chemistry and chairman of the Chemistry Department, will second the motion.

The Committee on Educational Policy unanimously approved the merger on Dec. 18.

The intent of the merger, Libscomb said is to bring about better coordination of courses in the undergraduate and graduate departments. He noted that many undergraduates are taking graduate biochemistry courses.

He added that these presented for honors degrees in Biochemical Sciences are very much related to research done by graduate students.

Looking to the future, Lipscomb said the committee felt that this move would continue to attract first rate faculty, while not sacrificing the undergraduate tutorial program.

Lipscomb pointed out that biochemistry has become a more unified discipline in recent years. The proposed merger reflects the unity that biochemistry itself has taken on.