Soccer Team Tramples Williams, 5-1

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

Harvard's varsity soccer team proved its mettle yesterday defeating highly regarded Williams, 5-1, on the Business School field.

The fast-paced Crimson attack kept Williams bottled up for most of the afternoon and provided ample warning for Ivy teams that Harvard will be a top contender for the League title.

The Crimson took to the offensive right away, controlling play during the opening minutes of the game. Charles Njoku took a pass from forward Jim Saltonstall and scored from his left wing position at 5:50 of the first period to give Harvard a lead which it never relinquished.

Harvard lagged for the latter part of the first quarter, but stormed back to dominate the second period. Inside Hugh Polk drilled a goal past the Williams defenders from directly in front of the goal at 15:50. Winger Dudley Blodgett scored from in close with an assist by inside Dave Taft to give the Crimson a comfortable 3-0 halftime lead.

The third quarter was all Harvard, with Williams constantly being forced to the defensive. The deceptive Saltonstall took a pass from Njoku, lured the Williams goalie out, and dribbled a shot past him for a goal at 9:46.

Harvard's final goal came late in the third period as inside Ernest Schaefer stole the ball from a Williams fullback and passed to sophomore forward Lutz Hoeppner, who booted true to make the margin 5-0.

The Crimson suffered a letdown in the final period, falling to control play as it had done in the previous two periods. Williams captain Budge Upton, a quick and energetic center forward who played an outstanding game for the losers, caught the Crimson fullbacks napping in the opening moments of the fourth quarter and scored the lone Williams goal with an assist from inside Bill Blanchard.

It was the first goal of the year scored on Crimson goalie Nat Bowditch.

25 Goals

Forward Fred Okuffo and center halfback Chuck Okigwe turned in outstanding performances for the Crimson, as did the hustling Blodgett and the agile Saltonstall. Njoku showed spurts of brilliance, but was often erratic.

Harvard's forwards and halfbacks in general looked tough on offense, but the fullbacks and defense never really got the rugged test expected from Williams. The Crimson will go into its Ivy opener Saturday with a 3-0 record and 25 goals.

The Junior Varsity soccer team blanked Williams, 4-0, to complete the sweep.