AAAAS Opens Teen Workshop

The Harvard-Radcliffe Association of African and Afro-American students this week opened a "Freedom Workshop" at the Cambridge Community Center.

The purpose of the workshop, according to James W. Wiley '66, president of AAAAS, is to provide "supplementary education for black children."

Six members of AAAAS have begun teaching classes at the Community Center, which is located in a racially-mixed neighborhood southwest of Central Square. The Harvard students will discuss such topics as the history of civil rights and the relation of the American Negro to Africa with children from ages 12 to 18.

Wiley said, "The program should give children lacking self-confidence the opportunity to speak honestly and express their opinions. It will also provide subject matter not available in public school classrooms."

Hubert E. Sapp '67, director of the pilot project, said that classes will continue for the rest of the school year, meeting at least twice a month. He added that the group at present included white as well as Negro teenagers.