Cliffies in Lamont: Will Joy Cloy?

"We've been on the sixth floor and we've been in the basement. It's about time we were let loose on the whole building," said one Radcliffe girl when she learned that Lamont may soon be open to girls.

Reactions at Radcliffe ranged from jubilation to indifference last night; Harvard men's reactions ranged from pessimism to delight.

'All Over'

"It's all over. They might as well abolish the name of Radcliffe and let them run through the Yard," bewailed one Harvard man.

Most Cliffies welcomed "a place to study in the Yard." Several girls said they were sick of the atmosphere in. Widener reading room, and thought that Lamont would have an "aura conducive to study." "We expect to meet some fine, sensitive human beings there," said a group at Comstock.

A Harvard man made the observation, "I'd rather take a break looking at a girl's legs than smelling some guy's sweaty socks." Girls have heard about the smell at Lamont, but one Cliffie predicted confidently that "the stronger Cliffies can take it."

Book Problem

A girl at Briggs thoughtfully commented, "The boys should have a place to themselves." "But do they have to keep all the books with them?" asked a girl at Moors. The problem of books, especially reserved books, was one frequently noted by the girls. "I'm especially happy about the poetry room," one sophomore added.

One Cliffie admitted, "I never go to libraries anyway," and another said. "It's not going to make that much difference."

Most everyone felt that the move was long overdue.

"It's nice to know that Harvard has finally accepted girls," a freshman Cliffie said, "When are they going to close it to males?"