Alfred Plans Sabbatical for '66-'67, Will Begin Writing Two New Plays

William Alfred, professor of English and author of Hogan's Goat, is planning to take a sabbatical next year to write another play.

Alfred called the new work, entitled Hogan, a "pro-sequel" to his present off-Broadway hit. It will deal with events reading up to an Irishman's immigration to Brooklyn.

Alfred said that he had considered taking his sabbatical this Spring, but preferred to wait until next year, so the total time away from Harvard would include two summers. "Besides," he added, if I had decided to leave Harvard this spring, I would have gone to New York and devoted time to Hogan's Goat. At east up here I don't have the chance to be nervous."

Some "very exciting changes" will be made next year in English 10, according to Alfred, not in the subject matter but in the way the course is taught. Alfred traditionally teaches the first semester of English 10. Next year, the first half will be given by Larry D. Benson, associate professor of English, while David D. Perkins, professor of English, will teach the second half.

In the Fall of 1967, after Alfred's return, Perkins will lecture for the first semester, and Alfred will take over in the Spring term, when English 10 surveys the major authors from Johnson to the present.

Thereafter, the course will be taught on this alternating basis. Alfred feels that the course would be less interesting if the same program were followed by the same lecturer every year.

In addition to Hogan, Alfred has begun work on The Curse of an Aching Heart, which he describes as "pure farce, something I can whip up left-handed."

During his sabbatical, Alfred plans to teach a freshman composition course at Berkeley, and a drama course to the nuns at the Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart. Another possibility is an experiment in which Alfred will teach English to third-graders in New York City.