Varsity Five Meets Northeastern In Quest for Third Straight Win

By R. ANDREW Beyer

"Class" is a funny thing. At the race track, a horse can look like a world-beater against $1500 opposition. But when he runs against even mediocre $2000 horses, he usually gets clobbered.

That's how it is with Northeastern's basketball team. The Huskies usually have a winning season. In 1962 and 1963 they won the NCAA small-college regional championship. Last year they had a 13-11 record and were the NCAA runner-up. While Harvard basketball teams have historically looked like beaten-up $2000 candidates for the glue factory, they almost beat Northeastern. Harvard has won 25 of 28 meetings between the two schools.

Harvard plays the Huskies at 8 p.m. tonight in Northeastern's Cabot Gym. If the Crimson plays as well as they have in their first two games, they should win. A victory would enable the Crimson to accomplish what no Crimson quintet has done since 1957 -- win its first three games of the season.

The main obstacle Harvard will face is a pair of sharpshooting Huskie guards. Jim McNaught and Rick Weitzman.

McNaught, a Lilliputian 5-7 junior, scored 27 points in Northeastern's $4-67 victory over Bates Saturday. He fired in 10 of 14 shots, most of them long jumpers, and was seven for eight from the foul line. Weitzman (6-2) scored 16 points, hitting seven for ten from the floor.

The rest of the Huskies' starting five is not exceptionally big or talented. Sophomore center Mike Wallent (6-4) are good rebounders but not high scorers. Jerry Knight, a 2-2 forward, averaged 10 points per game last year.

Harvard's basketball team has surprised even the wild-eyed optimists among Crimson fans. The team opened its season with a 91-82 win over New Hampshire, then beat Holy Cross, 76 to 67.

There have been two main reasons for this auspicious beginning: the Crimson's defense, and unexpectedly good individual performances by two players.

The Crimson's 1-2-2 zone defense has been functioning very smoothly. It forced Holy Cross to take most of its shots from outside -- and the Crusaders his only 34 per cent from the floor. More than anything, the zone requires a hustling team to make it work. Last year after a few disheartening setbacks early in the season. Harvard stopped bustling and stopped playing good defensive basket ball. Hopefully, that won't happen this season.

At the start of the year, everyone knew that Barry Williams, Keith Sedlacek, and Gene Dressler would have good seasons -- their credentia's were already well established. The big question marks were 64 forward John Scott and the other guard position. Scott has been playing solid, aggressive basketball, and has looked particularly tough under the boards -- where the Crimson needs help most. Guard George Neville's selection to the starting team was somewhat of a surprise, but he has certainly vindicated Coach Floyd Wilson's judgement. Neville has a fine outside shot and handles the ball well.