'Cliffe Will Begin $7 Million Drive

By Nancy H. Davis

The Radcliffe College Council voted Monday to begin a fund drive to raise 17 million to finance the construction and maintenance of a fourth house for undergraduates One million dollars has already been raised.

The Radcliffe administration plans that the fourth house will provide accommodations for girls now living in overcrowded dormitories and in off campus houses officially considered "substandard housing."

There are between 310 and 330 Cliffies in off campus houses. According to the Radcliffe Quarterly of February. 1265, about 150 of those in the existing brick dormitories will be moved into Fourth House.

These figures show that unless the plans have been altered or unless some off campus houses are retained, at least 150 Cliffies will be moving into Fourth House, while the plans for Fourth House indicate accommodation for only 360.

The construction of Fourth House is part of a general renovation of the Radcliffe quadrangle. The renovation also includes the Hilles Library, which should open in September, and the remodeling of the three existing houses. The first hall of Fourth House--the Mabel Daniels Hall--should be completed some time next fall.