Interhouse 'Bias' Worries Cliffies

Although interhouse dining has barely gotten under way at Radcliffe, it is already a major administrative problem. Housemasters, senior residents, and students are opposing the current Wednesday night system because it discriminates against non-Harvard males.

In the larger dormitories, all the space available for guests on Wednesday nights has been allotted to Harvard undergraduates. A Cliffe cannot invite a non-Harvard guest, even if she is willing to pay for his meal. Senior residents of smaller dormitories said that if their dining rooms become said that if their dining become overcrowded, they may also have to adopt this policy.

Giles Constable '50, head of North House, suggested that part of the dining room quotas be reserved for paying guests. He feels that the current policy of excluding graduate students and other college students on Wednesday nights is "unfortunate," since the presence of these guests is "worth the cost of excluding a few undergraduates."

Constable noted, however, that this change would probably elicit "howis from RGA," since the purpose of making Wednesday an interhouse night was to increase the number of Harvard undergraduates eating at Radcliffe. He added that if Tuesday and Thursday nights become overcrowded, they may also have to be "Harvard-only" nights.

Mrs. Samuel E. Thorne, head of South House, indicated that non-Harvard guests would be welcome, but only as long as the dining halls remained un-crowded, while Mrs. Anthony G. Oettinger, head of East House, hopes that the number of guests will be small enough so that the problem will not arise