THE SILENT MONOPOLY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I am shacked that HSA did not find my letter to the Crimson of January 20, 1965 worthy of a reply. Since that time I have obtained more facts concerning the actual host of chartering airplanes to Europe, and two of these facts directly contradict information given by Dustin Burke. (1) It is possible to charter projects to Europe this summer. While Mr. Burke claimed that this was impossible. I have seen a signed quotation by an airline to a N.Y. organization for a prop-jet to Europe this coming summer at a cost of $10,000 for 87 seats which is $115 per seat. (2) Prices have not gone up significantly this coming summer as a compared to last summer, as Mr. Burke claimed. In fact, the round trip cost of chartering a jet from NYC to Madrid dropped from $33.150 to 32.000 which, represents a corresponding drop from $251 to 234 per seat (this year's jet holds 5 more passengers.)

The same N.Y. organization charters a jet, NYC to Frankfurt at a round trip cost of $252 per seat. Also for comparison the Columbia University Charters are sold for $190 to $245 for a jet and $215 to $259 for a DC-7. Note that there is no great difference in cost between a jet and a prop-jet and a DC-7 based on a per seat cost. HSA has raised its prices for jets this summer to $271 to $310 Again I ask HSA to make public its costs and to clearly show where the "profits" from the Charter Flight Agency are going. If HSA is making a reasonable "profit" is has nothing to hide. We as students have every right to know the financial details of this monopoly. John Poached 64-4