Racquetmen Face 2 Toughest Foes

Harvard opens its bid for the Ivy squash crown at Penn today and closes it at Princeton tomorrow.

For three years Penn has been developing a team with the specific purpose of beating Harvard in 1965. But troubles only begin with Penn. Saturday the Crimson must face virtually the same Princeton team that last year came within a point of ending Harvard's 27-game victory streak.

Seven Came Back

With seven returning lettermen, Penn stands 5-0 for the season, including impressive wins over Yale and Army. Number one player Howard Coonley, ranked fourth among collegians nationally, and Captain John Reese, who defeated Harvard's Bill Morris last year, make the top part of the Quakers' lineup equal to any in collegiate ranks.

What Harvard fears, though, is Penn's new depth. If the Crimson cannot win decisively at the bottom of the ladder, Penn may pull the big upset.

Princeton has to be rated as Ivy favorite. Only two starters graduated from last year's team, which lost 5-4 to Harvard's national champs. Harvard, however, lost four players, including the top two.

A comparison of records is not much help in picking the winner. Neither team has been particularly pressed by an opponent; Princeton blanked Army, 9-0, while Harvard won 8-1. And the man who lost for Harvard has been beaten for his starting position. So who's better?

In the number one match, Crimson captain Romer Holleran must be in top form to beat Peter Svastich. Earlier this year Svastich upset Amherst's Tom Poor, who edged by Holleran in a five-game match.

Dependable Terry Robinson is pitted against Princeton captain Frank Satterthwaite in what may prove the most interesting match of the day. Satterthwaite, erratically brilliant, is ranked third among college players.

Harvard will be doing well to split the first two matches and must count on winning at least two of the next three. Bill Morris, usually number three, has dropped to five because of illness. Al Terrell and Dinny Adams, each moving up a slot, will have to carry additional pressure. Neither has lost a game this year.

Strong Depth

Princeton's strongest asset is its hottom four players, who out-experience Crimson opponents Dave Benjamin, Todd Wilkinson, Steve Simpson, and Craig Stapleton.

But if, as Coach Jack Barnaby hopes, his four newcomers have progressed enough to hold their own (a two-two split would do), Princeton may have to settle for its familiar second-best position.